Non-NHS Services


Some services provided are not covered under our contract with the NHS and therefore attract charges. We receive many requests from our patients to complete forms or provide letters. We are happy to provide these where we can, but sadly there are occasions where we cannot.

The government's contract with GPs covers medical services to NHS patients. However, in recent years more and more organisations have been involving doctors in a wide range of non NHS work. This work is not funded by the government, so GPs have to charge a fee to cover their time and other expenses.


Examples of paperwork we can provide

Please note that most of these are not NHS services and so we need to charge a fee.

  • HGV medicals
  • Most DVLA forms
  • Life insurance application reports
  • Reports for employer's occupational health teams
  • Firearm licensing reports for police
  • GP-specific reports for state benefits
  • Travel insurance claim reports
  • Confirmation of dates of pregnancy for flying
  • MEDIF forms for airlines – please note fitness to fly is determined by the airline's medical team, not by GPs. We can complete a MEDIF form (GP's report) for you to submit to the airline at least 48h before your flight. 
    Flying with medications or needles letter
  • Certification of sickness after one week of incapacity (no fee as NHS work)

The fees charged are based on the British Medical Association (BMA) suggested scales and our reception staff will be happy to advise you about them along with appointment availability.

Our fees are listed below. You can read further information on the BMA guidance on GPs fees


Examples of paperwork we can't provide

Please understand that we often cannot provide 'a quick signature'. We're keen to do what we can to help but can sometimes these need to be obtained elsewhere.

  • SCUBA diving – needs to be completed by a doctor with specialist dive training
  • Parachuting - should be completed by a doctor with aviation medicine training
  • Pilot's licenses – most need to be done by a doctor with aviation medicine training
  • Last Power of Attorney – this is best completed by a solicitor.
  • Passport application – doctors are no longer allowed to countersign these 
  • Character references
  • Certifying copies of documents
  • Confirming identity or address
  • 'Fit to participate' forms for marathons, gymnasiums, sports etc. This is beyond the expertise of most NHS GPs. We recommend seeing a private cardiologist. We can provide a medical summary free of charge if that helps.


Frequently Asked Questions

Surely the doctor is being paid anyway?

It is important to understand that many GPs are not employed by the NHS. They are self-employed and they have to cover the costs of everything from the limited NHS funds provided - staff wages, buildings, heating, lighting, etc - in the same way as any small business. The NHS covers costs for NHS work, but not for non-NHS work, the fees charged by GPs contribute towards keeping the surgery running.

Do GPs have to do non-NHS work for their patients?

With certain limited exceptions, GPs do not have to carry our non-NHS work. Many GPs however will always attempt to assist their patients and carry out this work.

Why does it sometimes take my GP a long time to complete my form/letter?

Time spent completing forms & preparing reports takes the GP away from the medical care of patients which will always have top priority. GPs have an ever increasing workload of forms which must be prioritised against offering appointments and other urgent administration. We aim to complete non-NHS work within 2 weeks of receipt but no longer than 28 days.

I only need the GP's signature - what's the problem?

When a GP signs a certificate, completes a report or writes a letter it is a condition of remaining on the medical register (which allows them to practice as a doctor), that they only sign what they know to be true. In order to complete even the simplest of forms, the doctor may have to check a patient's entire medical record.

If you can't complete my form, who can?

o    You can try local private GPs
o    Nearest Private Cardiologists are in Milton Keynes 
o    SCUBA diving - 
o    Pilots licences -


Our Fees

Fees 2021

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website